PYRENEES CAFE, 601 Sumner St.
Located a half-block east of the Noriega Hotel. Serving meals since 1887, the Pyrenees was a bakery, saloon and hotel for Basque sheepherders until 1935, two years after the end of Prohibition.
People do not speak of the rooms that were rented on the second floor. During that time Inocencio Juaurena operated the cafe-saloon. He and his lady friend aimed to provide high customer satisfaction. The business was frequented by many people and patrons could meet the kindest women there. (Women of ill repute?)