In 1947, Pierre and Juanita purchased the Kern City French Bakery (established in 1887) from Mr. & Mrs. Joe Gueydan and changed the name of the bakery to Pyrenees French Bakery in honor of their native province.
The bakery, originally called Kern City French Bakery, began in 1887 under the proprietorship of Marius M. Espitallier. In the early years the brick building which housed the bakery also contained a saloon. At the time, a loaf of good French bread sold for six cents.
The building pictured, constructed in 1910, was originally the Kern City French Bakery. The bakery was located at 717 East 21st Street in Kern.
Around 1920, the Kern City French Bakery produced over 1,000 loaves of bread and rolls daily. Most of the bread was delivered to homes and hotels with a small quantity being sold in the store. During this time, a one pound loaf of bread cost eight cents.
The Laxagues donated the building to the Kern County Museum – Pioneer Village in 1961.